We are looking for an experienced Non-Executive Director who can help the company achieve the ambitions of the founders and achieve a successful outcome for the investors and shareholders.
Watr – The Smart Water Monitor (www.watr.tech) is an ambitious technology start-up and a disruptor to the water industry based in Norwich.
The NED is the sole Non-Executive of the company will chair the Board of Directors.
Basic salary - TBD (depending on experience) plus share scheme and bonus.
- A highly driven commercial individual with a demonstrated experience in leading businesses to achieve success and reaching targets. Ideally with experience in technology products and the water industry or utilities sector.
- The NED is expected to bring an external, independent perspective to the Board, assist with strategy, help develop the business and ensure that the risks are suitably managed.
- The NED is expected to challenge and advise the executive directors, in line with the Watr company values below, and help them to reach balanced judgements.
Contribution – Making a difference to the world we live in
Innovation – Achieving excellence through creativity
Collaboration – Realising together we are stronger
Intelligence – Nurturing talented minds to deliver success
Professionalism – Demanding integrity and quality in all we do
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Chair the Watr board in a Non-Executive capacity
- Bring an external, independent perspective and advise the Board accordingly
- Advise on financial governance and financial process
- Assist in setting and revising strategy and objectives
- Challenge executive directors on their decision making
- Scrutinise the performance of management against the objectives and values of the company
- Help to determine appropriate levels of remuneration of executive directors and senior management and to advise on reward mechanisms
- Advise on risk management and internal control frameworks
- Advise on systems which support the integrity and quality of management information
- Advise on governance arrangements and assist with succession planning, including chairing Appointments Panel
- Chair and participate in strategy meetings/AGMs with senior staff/shareholders or all staff, including quarterly all company gatherings in Norwich
- Involvement in business development, (working closely with Board and senior team), this could be including client visits and presentations at client events or conferences
- Provide access to useful contacts and networks to help develop new business in line with strategy
- Identify opportunities for Watr, for example new services, clients or partners
- Strategic management or business development role preferably in a technology consultancy organisation, ideally engaged in water industry or environmental-related services.
- Director of similar-sized company which has undergone sustained growth (Executive or Non Executive)
- Strategy development, governance, business development and operational experience
- Chairing business committees or Boards
- Understanding of markets in which Watr operates or wishes to develop, including private, public and not-for-profit sectors
Skills and Qualities:
- Understanding of Watr values and environmental ethos, and track record of living these
- Gravitas to be respected internally and externally
- Ability to engage constructively with senior management and to challenge on difficult issues in a non-confrontational way
- Successful motivator of senior management
- Clear and enthusiastic communicator; verbal and written
- Strategic thinker and business development orientation
- Understanding of systems and risk management
- Good understanding of management accounts and related management information
- Knowledge of reward and motivation mechanisms
- IT literate
The current Board meets approximately 6-8 times a year, and holds additional strategy meetings, including with senior staff/shareholders. The NED is expected to be available for ad-hoc advice to the Board on an as-needs basis. The total time commitment per annum is estimated as 24 days
If you want to apply for this role please send a covering letter and CV to email@example.com.